The construction of Bagrati Cathedral, named after Bagrat III – the first king of united Georgia, started at the end of the 10th century and was completely in the early years of the 11th century. The Cathedral holds special importance in the history of Georgia as an architectural cultural monument.
In 1692 the cathedral which belonged to the kingdom of Imeretia was attacked by Ottomans. They devastated and blasted it. The dome and ceiling collapsed. In 1994 Bagrati together with monastery Gelati registered on the list of UNESCO world heritage site. Against the recommendation of the international Council on Monuments and Sites, a non-governmental organization, the cathedral was reconstructed into the original form and 2012 accomplished.
During the construction phase deleted UNESCO the building from the red list of endangered buildings. The monastery Gelati still belongs to UNESCO. The Gelati building is orientated on the monastery Ösk Vank in todays Turkish area.
The restoration of Gelati started in 1952.